Saturday, July 27, 2013

Nothing Sweeter Than The County Fair

This weekend is my home town's county fair. For an ex 4H'er the county fair is one thing you are always drawn to. I have always loved the fair since I was little and will always love the fair. My dad is on the fair board and is the rabbit superintendent. When I was in 4H I showed: rabbits, chickens, my dog, and a feeder pen of sheep. I loved showing. It was something I always looked forward too. Besides showing I always did projects and took photography to be judged and exhibited in the fair. 

Out growing 4H was hard. It was hard going to the fair and not being able to show or have projects in the fair. My dad always tried to get me to put my photography in the fair in the open class. I was always to scared to showcase my photography. This year was different. My freshman year of college I took a photography class which had made me more confident in my photography. Also, I've been shooting a lot more and getting a better feel for my new camera. I have recently started a page for my photography and been showcasing it online. 

This year I put projects and photography in the open class at the county fair. I entered 2 color photography exhibits, 4 black and white photography exhibits (which I developed myself), a wedding garter set I made and some burlap roses. I got 5 reds and 3 blues. It's not the best, but at least I didn't get a white. (Ribbons go from best to worst; purple, blue, red and white) I feel a little let down because I love my photography so much and it just feels like a blow that I didn't do as well as I thought I was going to do. I'm excited to do more photography and have more entries next year and more projects.

During the fair I helped a lot with the rabbit and poultry show, since that is my dad's area and I am an elder in the field. The kids really seemed to enjoy my help and appreciated all the stuff I was teaching them before the show. During the show I took pictures for my dad and the fair.  It was my nieces first year showing, she only had two rabbits this year. She received two blues, reserve grand champion lop, and grand champion costume class. I was really proud of her.

The fair is half way over, still two more days of the fair left. Tomorrow is family fun day. I plan to spend the day with my nieces and have a ball. I can't wait. I have to help my dad with some more competitions, but it's the pie contest so should be a breeze. Keep you updated on the fair.

All photos are from this years fair that I have taken during the fair.

Please go to my photography website and become a fan by liking the page.
https://www.facebook.com/BarefootPhotographyIowa

Love always,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment